Phillip Andrew Lewis – From Red Paint Hill – launch
In 1768 the famous historical American surveyor, Thomas Hutchins, identified Red Paint Hill as the navigational landmark and point of beginning for the North Tennessee land now know as Clarksville. At the confluence of the Cumberland and Red Rivers, the city began its development with the geometric forms outlined in this survey. Along these plotted lines, roads and passageways were formed. As the city grew beyond these original plots, the grid quickly broke down.
Using the historic city design, current field recordings retrace the original grid lines with sounds found along these boundaries. The sonic survey becomes a new connection to the origins of the city.